Monday, October 3, 2011

The things i'd say if i could only say them



 It happens to me all the time. I find myself in a situation which requires me to raise my voice a few decibels and vent my anger (usually happens at retail chain stores or sometimes with obnoxious aggressive people I have the misfortune to meet). Raising the volume is not an issue and oh the anger is very much there all right….. simmering and seething. Sad bit is I am at a loss for words. Where are they???Where is the dictionary load of words I have spent my life reading and acquiring when I need them most??? Did they decide to go for a walk deserting me when I needed them most??? So I stand there opening and closing my mouth a couple of times looking like a human equivalent of a fish. But no words come to my rescue…no sir!
  Later is of course, a different story altogether. And that’s when my lost wits wander in hand in hand with all the things I could have said…and  I get thoughts like ….hey that’s what I should have said!!! I imagine the whole scenario again and in my imaginary world my vitriolic tongue lashes the opponents to pulp!!! They cower in fear and I am of course unstoppable!!! In the dream sequence the floor managers quake in fear when in reality I know that if I get really angry I would probably just embarrass myself by dissolving in tears!!! I don’t know if it’s only me but for all my creativity, the fountain of wisdom and words as well seems to dry up the moment I am faced with adversity. Intensely frustrated I come away feeling completely deflated. What’s the point of all the choicest words, I could have said, coming to mind much later?
It is one thing to put words down on paper and quite another to be able to say them face to face. Give me the written word any day I say….I feel so much better
Anytime you wish for an emotional outpouring hand me a sheet of paper. It will come spouting forth but no you can’t expect me to sit with someone across the table and do the same. No darned way!!! At times like these I like to portray myself as an empathic listener but the fact is I freeze up in the face of emotional outbursts. I juggle my facial muscles to bring about a semblance of a sympathetic expression but inside it’s like an ice floe! If someone wants to vent their grief, anger, frustration, does not want to be saddled with counter recriminations, advice and instead would prefer only a vaguely sympathetic silence in return….well then you have me!!!
Maybe one day I will be able to gather my courage and wits and say what’s on my mind but until then I live in hope!!! Hope that one day all that needs be said will be and God help anybody who’s around then!!!!

1 comment:

  1. oh i sooooooo relate to this Tazeen...its happened to me also-umpteen times...and the later fantasazing about what i "could" have done or said is all the more frustrating and you feel more angry at yourself than at the person who deserved it at the time!
    i think it happens to most of us who dont like fighting or making a scene!
    its happened to me here in the US a number of times by people who think they are way better than us just by courtsey of thier skin color! grrrrrrrrr....

    ReplyDelete